Association of Libraries and Archives of the Western Ukraine (ALAWU) – a non-for-profit, non-Governmental organization that brings together volunteer libraries, archives and other institutions and organizations professionally involved with the library and archival business, or those that contribute to its development and located in Western Ukraine.
Principles of our work
We significantly influence or control the selection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information. In a political system grounded in an informed citizenry, we are members of a profession explicitly committed to intellectual freedom and the freedom of access to information. We have a special obligation to ensure the free flow of information and ideas to present and future generations.
• actively engage and work in partnership with existing audiences and reach out to new and diverse audiences
• treat everyone equally, with honesty and respect
• provide and generate accurate information for and with the public
• support freedom of speech and debate
• use collections for public benefit – for learning, inspiration and employment
• ставитися до всіх однаково, з чесністю і повагою
• надавати і генерувати точну інформацію і з громадськістю
• свобода слова підтримки та обговорення
• використання бібліотечних і архівних фондів на благо суспільства – для навчання, натхнення і зайнятості
Nulla commodo sem, at egestas nulla metus vel imperdiet aptent taciti ad litora torquent per conubia mattis nulla eleifend magna.
There are several projects and programs the ALAWU does and we are inviting all interested individuals and organizations to be involved to the projects.
- “Awareness the Library” is a campaign for public libraries that can help your team raise awareness and change perceptions about your library, and encourage more community support! We invite public libraries across the state to work with us.
- “Save The Heritage” is one of the most important for all libraries, archives, museums, art centers and other cultural organizations in Ukraine. According to UNESCO “Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations. Our cultural and natural heritage are both irreplaceable sources of life and inspiration”. This project includes a complete and thorough analysis of the real state of antiquities, identifying the causes of decay, restoration and conservation of the books, musical notes, manuscripts and other paper prints.
Everyone with an interest in the library, archive, information and knowledge professions is welcome to join ALAWU. Complete the membership application form and take the next step in your career and join the leading body for the library, information and knowledge professions. Develop your skills, build your knowledge and gain professional recognition. Make contacts through networking and get practical support for your career. Find out about the benefits of membership and join as an individual or organization.
There are three types of membership.
We at ALAWU working hard to spread the culture of Ukraine abroad. Our partners are many local and International charitable funds, organizations, institutions and private companies.